Thursday, July 5, 2018

We may have answered the Fermi Paradox: We are alone in the universe

This would suck...and make preserving out planet even more imperative:

https://qz.com/1314111/we-may-have-answered-the-fermi-paradox-we-are-alone-in-the-universe/

1 comment:

flashgordon said...

Look at this - this atheist feels I'm impinging on his territory! He comments with a gif about wizards and god, I figure, hey, surely, the guy would be interested in my Gospel of Truth, but I'm impinging on his territory

Hopefully, this url works - https://twitter.com/BillJPoe/status/1015781400304381952

- about the Fermi paradox being solved; Drexler's idea here is that life is improbable. Stuart Kauffman showed back in the 1980s through 1990s that life most likely starts out as a complex whole. It self-assembles almost like a complex crystal. It doesn't start out simble and become the complexity of a whole living cell through time. His theory may not be totaly proved yet, but if you think about all his arguments, and think about chaos theory and stable non-equilibrium structures, it becomes pretty hard to disprove theoretically.

OpenAI's Astra JUST solved math...

With AI solving math problems that have eluded mathematicians for many decades, we really are in the run-up to the technological singularity...